Re: [RFC 00/32] making inode time stamps y2038 ready

To: Arnd Bergmann <arnd@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RFC 00/32] making inode time stamps y2038 ready
From: "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 13:52:19 +0000
Cc: <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-arch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <john.stultz@xxxxxxxxxx>, <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <geert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <lftan@xxxxxxxxxx>, <hpa@xxxxxxxxx>, <linux-fsdevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ceph-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <cluster-devel@xxxxxxxxxx>, <coda@xxxxxxxxxx>, <codalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <fuse-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-afs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-btrfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-cifs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-ext4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-f2fs-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-mtd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-nfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-ntfs-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-scsi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <logfs@xxxxxxxxx>, <ocfs2-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <reiserfs-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <samba-technical@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: Joseph Myers <joseph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On Fri, 30 May 2014, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

> a) is this the right approach in general? The previous discussion
>    pointed this way, but there may be other opinions.

The syscall changes seem like the sort of thing I'd expect, although
patches adding new syscalls or otherwise affecting the kernel/userspace
interface (as opposed to those relating to an individual filesystem)
should go to linux-api as well as other relevant lists.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx