Re: xfs spanning over ssd and hdd

To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfs spanning over ssd and hdd
From: Matthias Neuer <mneuer@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 09:07:40 +0200
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi.

On 05/12/2014 04:20 PM, Eric Sandeen wrote:
On 5/12/14, 7:58 AM, Matthias Neuer wrote:
Hi.

I have a slow and big hdd and a fast but small ssd and want to test the
following setup but don't know if it's possible.

Use LVM to concatenate the ssd and the hdd linearly. Create a xfs filesystem on
this device such that the sdd is filled first, i.e. data is written to the ssd
as long as there is free space, otherwise the data is written to the hdd.

I have applications which may benefit from this setup but I am not sure so I
need to do some benchmarks.

XFS doesn't fill from the front, so you can't configure things to fill the HDD
first.

Files in new directories rotor around the allocation groups on the filesystem,
so all regions of the fs are filled more or less evenly.

Ok, thanks for the info. I fear that xfs is too intelligent because filling the device from front to rear seems to be a simple policy.
Maybe I should try FAT16 :)

Thanks
Matthias