Re: XFS crash?

To: Austin Schuh <austin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS crash?
From: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 13:46:47 +1000
Cc: xfs <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 06:29:28PM -0700, Austin Schuh wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 4:53 PM, Austin Schuh <austin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi Dave,

> >> I think they ar emore likely related to RT issues....
> >>

> > That very well may be true.
> >
> >> Your usb device has disconnected and gone down the device
> >> removal/invalidate partition route. and it's trying to flush the
> >> device, which is stuck on IO completion which is stuck waiting for
> >> the device error handling to error them out.
> >>
> >> So, this is a block device problem error handling problem caused by
> >> device unplug getting stuck because it's decided to ask the
> >> filesystem to complete operations that can't be completed until the
> >> device error handling progress far enough to error out the IOs that
> >> the filesystem is waiting for completion on.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> Dave.
> >> --
> >> Dave Chinner
> >> david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> I had the issue reproduce itself today with just the main SSD
> installed.  This was on a new machine that was built this morning.
> There is a lot less going on in this trace than the previous one.

The three blocked threads:

        1. kworker running IO completion waiting on an inode lock,
           holding locked pages.
        2. kworker running writeback flusher work waiting for a page lock
        3. direct flush work waiting for allocation, holding page
           locks and the inode lock.

What's the kworker thread running the allocation work doing?

You might need to run `echo w > proc-sysrq-trigger` to get this
information...

Cheers,

Dave.
--