Re: XFS filesystem claims to be mounted after a disconnect

To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS filesystem claims to be mounted after a disconnect
From: Mark Tinguely <tinguely@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2014 10:44:34 -0500
Cc: Martin Papik <mp6058@xxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx

Please do a "ps -ef" before umount to see if the unmount is hung.

--Mark.

On 05/02/14 10:07, Eric Sandeen wrote:

On 5/2/14, 8:47 AM, Martin Papik wrote:

I ran into a problem using XFS. The USB device on which I have an XFS
file system got disconnected and xfs_repair and xfs_check fail with a
message saying the file system is mounted writable. There is no entry
in /etc/mtab or /proc/mounts. However I see messages in the kernel log
(dmesg) about write failures to the disconnected drive.

platform_check_iswritable() and platform_check_ismounted() in xfsprogs check
these things.

platform_check_ismounted() does a ustat() of the block device,
"ustat() returns  information  about  a mounted file system"
and it knows if it's mounted or not,
"EINVAL: dev does not refer to a device containing a mounted file system."

so something, somewhere thinks it's mounted.  Check /proc/mounts?

Please let me know what I can do short of zeroing the log, which I
believe would result in some data loss.

Hate to say it, but a reboot may be simplest.  Zeroing the log won't
help.  OTOH, if you lost USB connectivity, you already lost some data.

- -Eric

Martin

<deletes>