Re: XFS fragmentation on file append

To: Keyur Govande <keyurgovande@xxxxxxxxx>, Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS fragmentation on file append
From: Stewart Smith <stewart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 21:48:54 +1000
Cc: linux-fsdevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Keyur Govande <keyurgovande@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> I spent some more time figuring out the MySQL write semantics and it
> doesn't open/close files often and initial test script was incorrect.

MySQL will open/close files depending on some configuration parameters
and the number of tables that exist/are open/are in the working set.

If InnoDB tables, it's innodb_max_open_files (IIRC it's named that, or
something similar). If you have less than that number of tables and
innodb_file_per_table=true, then you'll never close. If you have the max
set to 10 times the working set of active tables, you're going to be
opening and closing files a lot - it's basically a LRU of unused tables
(open files).

> It uses O_DIRECT and appends to the file; I modified my test binary to
> take this into account here:
> https://gist.github.com/keyurdg/54e0613e27dbe7946035

You can also make it not use O_DIRECT, but that's generally a bad idea :)

--
Stewart Smith