Re: Hello, I have a question about XFS File System

To: Yongmin <dev.yongmin@xxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Hello, I have a question about XFS File System
From: Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2014 14:30:57 -0600
On 3/6/2014 3:15 AM, Yongmin wrote:

> Hello.
>
> My name is Yongmin Park and I am a graduated student in Ajou
> University (Korea). My research area is Digital Forensics. And this
> time i tried to understand the structure of XFS file system, because
> XFS is one of the famous huge file system in these days.
>
> I already founded and read 'XFS Filesystem Structure 2nd Edition
> Revision 1' on the Internet, which was written by Silicon Graphics
> Inc in 2006 and it is really well written to understand.
>
> But the concentrated part of mine is "Deleted File Recovery", so the
> Journaling part is really important for me,, but regretfully there
> are no specific guide line about Journaling part... Also next
> version(maybe the 3re Edition) is not exsist for more than a 5
> years.
>
> So is there no guide line for journaling part in XFS? How can i get
> them,, have I to buy them? or Is Analysing Source Cord only way to
> study?

The journal only contains in flight transactional metadata for recovery
purposes after a system crash or power loss, to prevent filesystem, i.e.
metadata, corruption.  The journal does not contain file data.  During
normal operation, once the metadata has been written into an allocation
group the transactional entry in the journal is removed.  Thus,
recovering deleted files has nothing to do with the journal.

This may be helpful:
http://xfs.org/index.php/XFS_FAQ#Q:_Does_the_filesystem_have_an_undelete_capability.3F

--
Stan