Re: rebuilt HW RAID60 array; XFS filesystem looks bad now

To: Paul Brunk <pbrunk@xxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: rebuilt HW RAID60 array; XFS filesystem looks bad now
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 15:24:32 -0600
Hi Paul -

On 3/3/14, 3:05 PM, Paul Brunk wrote:
> Hi:

<snip story about very unhappy raid>

It sounds like things are badly scrambled.

> Is there anything I should try prior to xfs_repair -L?

The log failure is probably just the first error xfs encounters;
I imagine that after you zap the log, you'll find that everything
else is in equally bad shape.

You could _try_ an

# xfs_metadump -o /dev/whatever fs.metadump
# xfs_mdrestore fs.metadump fs.img

and then try your various metadata salvage techniques on fs.img
(recreating as necessary with another xfs_mdrestore after failure)
as practice runs, but I'm guessing that xfs_metadump will fail
in equally spectacular ways.

Unless you can get your storage somehow reassembled properly, I doubt
that there's much xfs tools can do to help you.

-Eric