Re: gentoo linux, kernel 3.10.31 mount options bug?

To: weber@xxxxxxxxxx, Xfs <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: gentoo linux, kernel 3.10.31 mount options bug?
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 10:07:47 -0600
On 2/23/14, 3:37 AM, Marko Weber|8000 wrote:

> hello list,
>
> i have a question about mount options.
>
> at first my fstab:
>
> /dev/md0                /boot           xfs             noauto,noatime  1 2
> /dev/md2                /               xfs
> noatime,nodiratime,nobarrier,largeio,discard,logbsize=256k,noikeep      0 1

I guess I won't ask why you decided to tweak all those knobs...

<snip>

> (YES!, normally i use Label or UUID..... but this is only a test machine.....)
>

> AFTER reboot "mount" shows this:
>
> rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
> /dev/root on / type xfs
> (rw,noatime,nodiratime,attr2,nobarrier,inode64,noquota)

<snip>

default mount options

> on /dev/root "discrad" and some other are not shown
>

> when i do a "mount -o remount /"
>
> "mount" shows this:
>

> rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
> /dev/root on / type xfs
> (rw,noatime,nodiratime,nobarrier,largeio,discard,logbsize=256k,noikeep)
> /dev/md1 on /tmp type xfs
> (rw,noexec,noatime,nodiratime,nobarrier,largeio,discard,logbsize=256k,noikeep)

tweaked options.

<snip>

> now,all options from /etc/fstab are listed.
> Is this XFS related?

Not really.  Only some xfs options are remountable, so unless you originally
mounted with, say, "largeio" the option won't be in effect.  Mount -o remount
won't enable it.  So if you really want all those options enabled on your root
fs, you'll need to have them in your initrd/initramfs so that the original
mount of the root fs at boot time includes them.

Also, mount may be looking at /etc/mtab rather than /proc/mounts.  /proc/mounts
contains the true state of the fileystem w.r.t. mount options.  /etc/mtab is
managed by mount, and knows nothing about what the filesystem actually did:

[root@sandeen ~]# mount -o remount,notanoption /home

[root@sandeen ~]# mount | grep home
/dev/md2 on /home type xfs (rw,notanoption)

[root@sandeen ~]# grep home /proc/mounts
/dev/md2 /home xfs rw,seclabel,relatime,attr2,delaylog,noquota 0 0

-Eric