Re: testing flink (aka linkat(..., AT_EMPTY_PATH)

To: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: testing flink (aka linkat(..., AT_EMPTY_PATH)
From: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 10:23:05 +1100
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 02:12:45PM -0800, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> Turns out so far we aren't really do metadata operation in xfs_io
> and don't even have link/unlink.  Should we starting adding these or
> where else should I start looking into adding support for exercising
> flink?

I think we need a tool that aggregates such functionality, otherwise
we just end up with a prolification of small helper utilities in
xfstests/src directory.  There's the new renameat2 code that would
dearly love a helper function, reflink support woul be useful, etc.
And for O_TMPFILE, is just doesn't make sense to duplicate what
xfs_io does just so that flinkat() support can be tested.

Hence I'm happy to see such metadata operations added to xfs_io from
a functionality point of view.  I also can't see any problems with
being able to integrate them into the command structure or the
source layout structure that xfs_io uses, so I'm not finding an
reason why we shouldn't be adding things like this...

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner