Re: list spam

To: Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: list spam
From: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 09:52:27 +1100
Cc: Keith Keller <kkeller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
> > I don't know if anyone has noticed, but a large amount of the spam
> > is directed at the deprecated linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx list aliases.
> > Kill that alias, and a large amount of the spam disappears.
>
> 53/173, non-scientific, in my folders, so roughly 1/3rd of spam getting
> through the nets is addressed to the deprecated address.  I agree, kill
> that alias.
>
> > FWIW, from the perspective of someone who has a lot of lists
> > directing email at him, the XFS list is no worse than most others.
>
> Maybe my vision is skewed.  The only other open list I sub is
> linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  It has a little less average volume than
> xfs, but only like one spam every few days gets through.

More likely my vision is skewed - I deal with a few thousand of
emails every day and delete most of them immediately without reading
anything other than the subject line(*). Spam is a tiny, tiny
percentage of the of mail I process every day....

Perspective ;)

Cheers,

Dave.

(*) The shiniest key on my keyboard is 'd', indicating it is the
most used key, all because I use it to delete mail ;)
--
Dave Chinner
david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx