Re: list spam

To: Keith Keller <kkeller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: list spam
From: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 08:22:32 +1100
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 11:44:51AM -0800, Keith Keller wrote:
> On 2014-02-18, Brent Bice <bbice@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 02/18/2014 09:13 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> >> Taking a look here:  http://oss.sgi.com/archives/xfs/2014-02/index.html
> >> we see 5 spams archived yesterday, and 4 so far today, and many in past
> >> months.
> >>
> >> What can be done to keep these spams out of the archive?
> >
> >     Make it a moderated list... (though I'd also offer my condolences to
> > the people nominated as moderators)
>
> Since the list is backed by Mailman, there is a less extreme option:
> restrict posting to subscribed email addresses.  This won't prevent all
> spam, but will cut down a lot.  People will still have a harder time
> emailing the list, but it'd be even harder with a moderated list, so
> restricting to subscribed addresses may be a reasonable compromise.

We'll move the list before to a different host before we restrict
access or moderate the list. It's an open public list, and it is
going to remain that way.

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but a large amount of the spam
is directed at the deprecated linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx list aliases.
Kill that alias, and a large amount of the spam disappears.

FWIW, from the perspective of someone who has a lot of lists
directing email at him, the XFS list is no worse than most others.

Cheers,

Dave.

--
Dave Chinner