Re: Not being able to recover a RAID 5 20 Tb partition, help needed

To: sillero@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Not being able to recover a RAID 5 20 Tb partition, help needed
From: Roger Willcocks <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 15:24:28 +0000
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 2014-01-29 at 14:39 +0100, Juan A. Sillero wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are a pioneering group in turbulence at the Polytechnic University of
> Madrid (torroja.dmt.upm.es), running simulations in supercomputing
> centers all around the world and hosting massive data in our data center
> that are publicly accessible.
>
> Apparently we have lost one of our partitions of 20 Tb because of a
> under-voltage error of a power source plus a disk failure and we are
> trying to fix it, but it does not look good so far.
>
> The system is setup as follow:
>         XFS 6.1
>         Raid 5 (12 x 2 disks of 2 Tb each)
>         Double disk controller managed by devmapper.
>
> What we know at this point is the next:
>
> 1) The topology of the disk is lost: the main-boot-record and the GPT
> are corrupted.

Are you sure the array had a main-boot-record and GPT ? What makes you
think they are corrupted ?

> 2) After running the testdisk utility we find 9 partitions instead of 1.

There is a good chance that the discovered partitions are backup XFS
superblocks; their location and content may allow you to figure out the
array topology.

> 3) With gdisk we have tried to create a new main-boot-record and GPT,
> but it has not worked.

This was a bad idea. Do you have a copy of the original data for these
sectors ?

--
Roger Willcocks <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>