Re: [RFC] directory quota survey on xfs

To: Zheng Liu <gnehzuil.liu@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RFC] directory quota survey on xfs
From: Andreas Dilger <adilger@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 11:03:22 -0700
Cc: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ext4 Developers List <linux-ext4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Theodore Ts'o <tytso@xxxxxxx>, Dmitry Monakhov <dmonakhov@xxxxxxxxxx>, Ben Myers <bpm@xxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, Li Xi <pkuelelixi@xxxxxxxxx>
On Jan 15, 2014, at 1:12 AM, Zheng Liu <gnehzuil.liu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 12:42:22PM +1100, Dave Chinner wrote:
>> I'd also strongly suggest that you use the XFS userspace quota API
>> for managing project quotas, so that we can use the same management
>> tools and tests to verify that they behave the same. Please don't
>> invent a new version of the quota API to implement this - everything
>> you need ifor managing project/directory quotas is already there in
>> xfs_quota.....
>
> Frankly, I don't like this, really.  Now we have quota-tool to manage
> the quota in ext4.  So IMHO we'd better go on using this tool because it
> is natural for ext4 users.  I still couldn't accept this fact that I
> need to install xfsprogs for using a feature of ext4.  Further, it could
> make users puzzled because they use quota to control user/group quota in
> ext4, but it uses xfs_quota to control project quota.  It could bring
> some troubles for the ext4 users who have written some scripts to manage
> their machines.

Please see Li Xi's recent email "Directory/Project quota supports" on
the linux-ext4 list.  He has already added some prototype support for
project quotas to quota-tools.

I think it might make sense to keep the same API as XFS for the ext4
quotas (to keep compatibility for existing XFS deployments), but add
support into quota-tools so that it is usable by all filesystems.

Cheers, Andreas