Re: [xfs_check Out of memory: ]

To: Jay Ashworth <jra@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [xfs_check Out of memory: ]
From: Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 16:01:43 -0600
>> From: "Stan Hoeppner" <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>> Create a 100GB swap partition and leave the remainder unallocated. The
>> unallocated space will automatically be used for GC and wear leveling,
>> increasing the life of all cells in the drive.
>
> *Great* tip.  :-)

It's not so much of a tip but simply re-stating common knowledge, or
what should be by now.  Over provisioning of SSDs has been written about
pretty extensively.

One benefit of over provisioning I failed to mention above is that it
also typically decreases the latency and increases the throughput of
random writes significantly.  Linux swap writes tend to be sequential,
so this aspect of over provisioning won't pay dividends for the OP's use
case.

--
Stan