Re: Sudden File System Corruption

To: Mike Dacre <mike.dacre@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Sudden File System Corruption
From: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 14:59:39 +1100
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Dec 04, 2013 at 07:46:06PM -0800, Mike Dacre wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> My apologies, I completely miscommunicated.  The drive dying was
> unrelated, it happened two months ago. I mentioned it only as
> background info, but I realize now that was stupid. There were no
> drive or RAID problems at all at the time the XFS mount died
> today. The drives are all fine and the RAID log shows nothing
> significant.

Still could be significant. Do you run periodic media scrubs on that
raid array?

And if it's not significant, then there's nothing that I can sugest
that woul dhave caused the problem. For all we know about the state
of the system at the time the problem occurred, it could have been
caused by a cosmic ray flipping a bit somewhere in the IO path. i.e.
trying to diagnose a failure like this without any other errors
showing and no corrupt filesystem image we can examine is no better
than trying to guess where the needle is in a haystack...

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner