Re: [ANNOUNCE] xfsprogs v3.2.0-alpha2

To: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] xfsprogs v3.2.0-alpha2
From: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 09:17:14 +1100
Cc: Rich Johnston <rjohnston@xxxxxxx>, xfs-oss <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 12:05:38AM -0800, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 08:18:58AM +1100, Dave Chinner wrote:
> > >
> > > So what issues keep us issueing alpha release instead of making a proper
> > > .0 release?
> >
> > There's still things to fix in xfs_repair before we do a full
> > release. Run xfs/291 recently?
>
> Works fine for me on v4 super blocks, which is what I mostly care about
> for now as that's what is in the field.  And we haven't sent fixed
> for our existing installed base out for over 6 month now.

[ sorry for taking so long to reply - I missed this email, so
thatnks to Eric for pointing it out ot me this morning ]

I don't think that releasing with known deficiencies is a very good
idea. Perhaps it would be best to release a 3.1.12 with all the
relevant bugs fixes backported from the master branch to it?

I'm happy to create a 3.1-stable branch in the repository branched
off at the relevant point in the commit stream so we can host a 3.12
release, but I don't really have time to do any of the
identification and backporting of patches for such a release.

Hence, if you want to identify the commit to branch from and
provide a backport series of patches for a 3.12 release, then I
think we can do a stable release in short turn-around time. Would
that approach alleviating your concerns?

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner