Re: Files not touched in weeks got truncated after a crash

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Files not touched in weeks got truncated after a crash
From: Guido Winkelmann <guido@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 11:25:19 +0100
On Wednesday 13 November 2013 16:51:44 Roger Willcocks wrote:
>Syncing won't protect you from hardware failures.

Obviously not, but it might - should, I would argue - lessen the impact of
one.

>Without more details about what happened to the external RAID and what
>you did to recover it's impossible to answer your question.

Well, if I understood the admin correctly, the backplane in the RAID in
question died, probably from a short-circuit on the board. (But I think that
latter part was just speculation.) He removed the harddisks from that
enclosure, put them into another one of the same make and model, mirrored over
the configuration from the broken to the working one and reattached it to the
server. The server was shut down in the mean time.

        Guido