Re: How to use increased number of ACL entries?

To: "Michael L. Semon" <mlsemon35@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: How to use increased number of ACL entries?
From: Kasparek Tomas <kasparek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 16:05:49 +0100
Cc: Jeff Liu <jeff.liu@xxxxxxxxxx>, Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Nov 04, 2013 at 12:52:07AM -0500, Michael L. Semon wrote:
> [...]

Did tried and ended with the same problem for filesystem mounting.
> >> root@bpserver:/storage/devel/git-xfsprogs# mkfs/mkfs.xfs -f -m crc=1
> >> /dev/sdb3

> >> However, it should be dirent (ftype=1 in the above output) that keeps a
> >> vanilla 3.10.17 kernel from mounting the resulting filesystem:
> >>
> >> [438326.624667] XFS (sdb3): Version 5 superblock detected. This kernel has
> >> EXPERIMENTAL support enabled!
> >> [438326.624667] Use of these features in this kernel is at your own risk!
> >> [438326.624762] XFS (sdb3): Superblock has unknown incompatible features
> >> (0x1) enabled.
> >> [438326.624762] Filesystem can not be safely mounted by this kernel.
> >
> > looks this problem is irrelevant to CRC check is enabled or not, and
> > Eric has fixed it:
> >
> > commit 31625f28ad7be67701dc4cefcf52087addd88af4
> >     xfs: don't emit corruption noise on fs probes

Will try this.

> >> I don't know if the CentOS kernel has any extra patches that would enable
> >> this filesystem to be mounted.
I use vanilla longterm 3.10.x, not CentOS kernel, that is too old for my
HW.

> >> There might be a way to bisect or revert the git xfsprogs back before
> >> dirent
> >> and giving that a try.  However, it seems best to start working with
> >> v5/CRC
> >> XFS starting with kernel 3.11.  If my luck with recent AIO commits was
> >> better,
> >> I'd recommend 3.12 instead because that's the real correct answer,
> >> problems
> >> aside.

I have to use longterm kernel and 3.10.x is the latest available. As I have
seen the commit for more ACLs there, I expected it should be possible to
get it working for this version
(https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/commit/?id=0a8aa1939777dd114479677f0044652c1fd72398)

> That stated, I found some time to revert the git xfsprogs, and there was
> success in making more than 25 ACLs on vanilla kernel 3.10.17.  Again,
> this is not recommended--the later kernel and userspace patches are there
> for good reason--but the output is pasted after my closing.

I will repeat your directions and test it. However, if you as XFS devels do
not see these to be stable enough to be used in production environment, I
may still revert to some other solution (unix groups) even if these are a
night mare to administer for my situation.

Thanks for all the info and advices.

Regards

--

  Tomas Kasparek               E-mail: kasparek@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  CVT FIT VUT Brno, L127       Web:    http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/~kasparek

  jabber: tomas.kasparek@xxxxxxxxx
  GPG:    2F1E 1AAF FD3B CFA3 1537  63BD DCBE 18FF A035 53BC

  May the command line live forever!