Re: ls and du slow

To: Qing Chang <qchang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: ls and du slow
From: Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 03:46:56 -0500
On 10/28/2013 1:41 PM, Qing Chang wrote:
> We have a cluster of 3 IBM servers that build the base of VMware
> vSphere 5 virtual environment.
>
> 3 major servers are built that use XFS mainly because the size of
> the filesystem: 64TB, 32TB and 5TB etc.
>
> These servers run RHEL 6.4, the XFS filesystems are configured on
> IBM Storwise V7000 subsystem through raw device mapping.
>
> Two of them serve files through NFS and Samba, another one is
> a SMTP/IMAP server.
>
> Accessing files and emails does not seem to be slow. But simple commands
> "ls" and "du" run very slow. For example, a first run of ls -l
> /var/spool/mail could
> take 8 seconds, note we have only 1360 items in this directory.
>
> "du" would also take much longer to run than ZFS or ext3.
>
> I could not find any direct reference of XFS possibly having problem with
> these kind commands.
>
> Could this be due to my combination of hardware and software configuration,
> or is there some tuning to be done?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Qing

Hello Qing,

As a Red Hat Enterprise Linux customer your contract entitles you to Red
Hat customer support.  Support provided by this list is primarily for
XFS as shipped in non-proprietary 'upstream' kernels.

RHEL and SLES customers should always contact their Linux vendor for
assistance with such issues.  After all that's why you paid for Linux
instead of using a free distribution.

--
Stan