Re: Questions about XFS

To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Questions about XFS
From: harryxiyou <harryxiyou@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 00:44:32 +0800
Cc: Emmanuel Florac <eflorac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :cc:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=qncM8l+mqpO4z8+jb0KdOC5lyjl8Vou4HtA5hSd/s+A=; b=uk1nCZIWnvoC1dmcpCqacAtN6hhuG7yowQPq2mZrnNE6K3sRmeFB40vo6fm1Eii0zX kewPFOyw7G4saao5Ycnu7BAe4y/ZiSOwNE/+kyP+WDGe50OddyVXaGxcylwgz3ar7Sfo pXRyXPS9PnDWFq4h9cg5o6AYM8yPE1rJ3ZabNg+IltIHwxUHJaYuWJhdrqZ2BayuFxXR hut/9nv3z+LODhKRfnsheTpD7Vh7HmVvI6ePjDERkzRV3fNggr5iTAJJCXQ11xtpdSit cJknP6kzt60QnSHkGgCppRFjBj0l/aUN3NY0AyZinrxnZ27LYa6ZbMQxoJ1GDZ7YJWax 3pmA==
On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 10:57 PM, Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 10/25/13 9:42 AM, Emmanuel Florac wrote:
>> Le Fri, 25 Oct 2013 22:28:10 +0800
>> harryxiyou <harryxiyou@xxxxxxxxx> Ãcrivait:
>>
>>> 1, How to install XFS on Linux OS, I should do like below, right?
>>>    a, Download latest Linux Kernel Source Codes.
>>>    b, Compile the Linux Kernel and select XFS feature when I do the
>>> configuration (make menuconfig).
>>
>> No, XFS is supported by all Linux distributions out of the box. To use
>> XFS, you may eventually need to install the xfs-progs package.
>>

>>> 2, Does XFS support real-time feature after I install it on Linux
>>> Kernel? And how to use real-time feature on Linux Kernel.
>>>

>> Yes. What do you want to do with realtime XFS?
>>

> well, yes and no.  It supports the "realtime subvolume" which is
> not really technically "realtime."  It does have a more deterministic
> allocator, but it doesn't have GRIO (Guaranteed Realtime I/O) like
> IRIX does.

What about let Linux Kernel support GRIO like IRIX does. I think this
would be a good feature for XFS. Actually, I prefer designing and
implementing this feature for XFS.

Any comments?

--
Thanks