Re: xfs_repair fatal error -- name create failed in lost+found, filesyst

To: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfs_repair fatal error -- name create failed in lost+found, filesystem may be out of space
From: Viet Nguyen <vietnguyen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 10:01:53 -0700
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :cc:content-type; bh=Ol9Dj9LaYQjb1XEfCUn/jIEufQ1Dt1J8O0OUghbdX6M=; b=VkaMDV01F1lipfdmf5MuN9WnAMsRilpIkTpNhgkj2MH39WCMilGaYtmwkJB23KJfM8 4t89RM9a0MtvpgkFvfOlORzPBijBYcw1WS+CLDvejy2YFjxHO8+C+Iu9fWuEUxh/Yhdb UBjkMIWTzApOfkEzlm1odhs5bk/5W+wk21erZ6TefbGNsgBMscEZSUHirgpoFNTsth2G /jIkjU1T9hrK0AGWNMTT8ka1HQdBisTyxfHTYTto4x3uRkt6HaMRKu8HkvCxUriaxUv/ WKYL5bSVOHCe5ePkoUYqlhj+dMJSnooxUrATgEIaOZEymPvdXF72hiCPtNcyy6itOmUJ neog==
The corruption was detected after a power outage. The underlying system is an LSI RAID 6, according to the controller, the RAID integrity checks out, though I don't know if I could trust that. This is the second time this server has suffered xfs corruption after a power outage. The strange thing is that there hasn't been any writes made to the filesystem for weeks. The server passed a memtest, and xfs_repair fails consistently at the same point. So I'm not sure what's going on there.

Is there any other particular details I could provide?

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 9:06 PM, Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 08:57:20PM -0700, Viet Nguyen wrote:
> Hi,
> Me again. I've got get another corrupted drive and I'm getting a different
> error for xfs_repair:
>
> fatal error -- name create failed in lost+found (117), filesystem may be
> out of space

Error 117 is telling you that the filesystem is corrupted. i.e.
attempting to make a new name for a lost inode has resulted in
detection of a new corruption or previously undetected or
uncorrected corruption in the filesystem.

Given the amount of damage your filesystem sustained, that's not
totally unexpected, especially if you are running 3.2.0-alpha.
Can you provide more details about the failure?

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner