xfs
[Top] [All Lists]

Re: Time for an xfsprogs "alpha1" release?

To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Time for an xfsprogs "alpha1" release?
From: Mark Tinguely <tinguely@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 18:40:21 -0500
Cc: "'linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivered-to: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
In-reply-to: <52323DB7.8000800@xxxxxxxxxxx>
References: <52322F7A.8060405@xxxxxxxxxxx> <5232380E.4040300@xxxxxxx> <52323DB7.8000800@xxxxxxxxxxx>
User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; FreeBSD amd64; rv:9.0) Gecko/20120122 Thunderbird/9.0
On 09/12/13 17:18, Eric Sandeen wrote:
On 9/12/13 4:54 PM, Mark Tinguely wrote:
On 09/12/13 16:17, Eric Sandeen wrote:
With all of the changes for CRC filesystems in xfsprogs git now, I'm wondering if it'd be 
a good idea to do a "3.2.0-alpha1" sort of release.

I know it's not yet feature complete, but I think there would be value in 
getting a version-stamped tarball out there for testing - it could filter to 
rawhide-ish distros, and get a bit more airtime while the remaining bits get 
worked out.

We'd probably want a nice readme about what's new and what's not yet done, 
caveats, etc, but I think it'd be worth getting it out there into the hands of 
willing testers, w/o requiring them to do a build from git.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
-Eric


Good idea, but xfsprogs is in a state that it can't compile:

    http://oss.sgi.com/archives/xfs/2013-09/msg00396.html

Patch 31 v3 / 55 is broken. It is missing xfs_sb.c and has an extra
xfs_mount.c.

If you want it this week, we could do the corrections or wait for Dave
to repost.

hm? The git tree builds fine here, anyway (modulo some warnings).

so quick, cut an alpha1 before it breaks.  ;)

(but if you mean: we should get the latest stuff on the list in first,
and fix it so it builds - ok - but there will probably always be more
stuff to pull in, so at some point when we have a reasonable amount of it
in place, we could cut a test release?  There's always "alpha2"...)

-Eric

Yep, simple to fix. I manually pulled in xfs_sb.c to make sure 47 v2 / 55 was still okay. I can have a tar tomorrow.

--Mark.

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>