Re: Time for an xfsprogs "alpha1" release?

To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Time for an xfsprogs "alpha1" release?
From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 17:38:04 -0400
Cc: "linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to :cc:content-type; bh=VPB2ZDCB68+HRpQl/ncoFlOl/eCp8iW0Iii2ZiJYtpk=; b=VURfQz+Tm5Fmj7I/mZJZHcwJ+YQWPE1aZ99xw04hIZmSmK9QXhhttlMW6HQbueIWeI OeMUTLuBb5ckc9kBEdZizr02kWFS/n2zPjT98y+MnZrQHh2KmxbdF5rXbvPr4sJTPOcL l+2S9m+45ZP/bOvbbP2xTGzkgRgmyA1ySiJ2jyHC6Re2dN5DhkUGYsxr7KWns4fHbOVv XleyQCf9uh36Yz0WF7RbjTePf7LG8yiSv3EscneZbxaEP6k0iQrGZtKGQH2fWpWkjb/g JqqqbZhtaIj4+gvGTDzzSKHoa/YmU79c/ChSI3DolvDI1PIOF0hhuavd5t9vmVcka5Yi ScSw==
On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 5:17 PM, Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> With all of the changes for CRC filesystems in xfsprogs git now, I'm
> wondering if it'd be a good idea to do a "3.2.0-alpha1" sort of release.
>
> I know it's not yet feature complete, but I think there would be value in
> getting a version-stamped tarball out there for testing - it could filter to
> rawhide-ish distros, and get a bit more airtime while the remaining bits get
> worked out.
>
> We'd probably want a nice readme about what's new and what's not yet done,
> caveats, etc, but I think it'd be worth getting it out there into the hands
> of willing testers, w/o requiring them to do a build from git.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> -Eric

If it's relevant, openSUSE's factory release is currently in feature
freeze for bleeding edge stuff, but it should open back up in a week
or two.  (After they branch off the next stable release.)

If you don't know factory => openSUSE => SUSE (SLES)

much like rawhide => fedora => redhat

Greg