Re: XFS recovery resumes...

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: XFS recovery resumes...
From: Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 00:45:18 -0500
> But yes, an upgrade was planned; I just wanted to upgrade the damn tuners
> first...

I'm not really into the DIY DVR scene, but I'd think with over the air,
cable, and sat all being digital now that you should be able to get a
single board to do the job, multi-channel simultaneous recording and all.

> Thanks for the homework with NewEgg;

No problem.  I have a rep to maintain after all.  Maybe you didn't
notice the right hand side of my email address. :)

> I don't mind buying stuff from
> them as long as it isn't HDDs.  They can't pack worth a crap; it's
> Received Wisdom on the MythTV mailing list that you *never* buy
> drives from them, if you want them to last more than a year.

Hadn't heard that before.  I've never had a problem with any of the
spinning drives I purchased from them.  I had a Corsair SSD die after ~4
months, no fault of Newegg.  Of the few grand I've spent with them since
2003, on parts for many new systems, repairs and upgrades, the only
other problem I've had was a $20 four channel fan controller w/one dead
channel outta the box.

> My endgame is to replace the entire backend with an HP DL180g6, which
> has 12 SAS/SATA tray slots on the front, and proper cooling.  But that,
> too, is down the road a bit.

Are you still talking about your sister's DVR here?  Build another PC
and spend some of the $$ you'd save on a 65" Panasonic Plasma.  Save the
rest for a rainy day.  The DL180G6 (discontinued BTW) with a handful of
drives will cost more than the PC and plasma TV combined.

--
Stan