Re: XFS recovery resumes...

To: Jay Ashworth <jra@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS recovery resumes...
From: Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 01:47:16 -0500
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On 8/18/2013 10:55 PM, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> Still the same outage from 2 weeks ago, Stan; my script had nothing to do
> with breaking the FSs. Was a zorched power supply, almost certainly.

Sorry I missed this in your first post Jay.

> [1278872.584543] XFS (sda1): Corruption of in-memory data detected.
> Shutting down filesystem

Joe appears to have hit the nail on the head WRT this being a hardware
problem.  This error confirms it.  It would appear that when the Antec
PSU went South it damaged a motherboard device, possibly a VRM, probably
a cap or two, or more.  Maybe damaged a DRAM cell or few that work fine
with memtest86+ but not with the access pattern generated by your XFS
workload.

I'd first try manually clocking the DIMMs down a bit, from 400 to 333,
or 333 to 266, whichever is called for.  IIRC that VIA Northbrige has
decoupled CPU and DRAM buses so you should be able to clock the DRAM
down without affecting CPU frequency.  If the problem persists, swap the
DIMMs if you have some on hand or can get them really cheap like $10 for
a pair.  If that doesn't fix it, this may be a viable inexpensive solution:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186215
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103888
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145252

$109 to replace your central electronics complex.  This is the least
expensive quality set of parts with good feature set I could come up
with at Newegg, to take the sting out of dropping cash on a forced
upgrade.  $15 more for the Foxconn AM3 board w/HDMI if you have a newer
TV or AV receiver.  If it all ships from the Memphis warehouse it should
reach St. Petersburg in a few days, a couple more if items ship from the
LA or Newark facilities.  I very rarely get anything from Newark, mostly
from Memphis, then and LA.

--
Stan