Re: page fault scalability (ext3, ext4, xfs)

To: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: page fault scalability (ext3, ext4, xfs)
From: "J. Bruce Fields" <bfields@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 18:02:04 -0400
Cc: Andy Lutomirski <luto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Theodore Ts'o <tytso@xxxxxxx>, Dave Hansen <dave.hansen@xxxxxxxxx>, Dave Hansen <dave.hansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Linux FS Devel <linux-fsdevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, "linux-ext4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <linux-ext4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxxx>, LKML <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Tim Chen <tim.c.chen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
References: <20130814230648.GD22316@xxxxxxxxx> <CALCETrVaRQ3WQ5++Uu_0JTaVnjUugAaAhqQK__7r5YWvLxpAhw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <20130815011101.GA3572@xxxxxxxxx> <20130815021028.GM6023@dastard> <CALCETrUfuzgG9U=+eSzCGvbCx-ZskWw+MhQ-qmEyWZK=XWNVmg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <20130815060149.GP6023@dastard> <CALCETrUF+dGhE3qv4LoYmc7A=a+ry93u-d-GgHSAwHXvYN+VNw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <20130815071141.GQ6023@dastard> <CALCETrWyKSMDkgSbg20iWBRfHk0-oU+6A3X9xAEMg3vO=G_gDg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <20130815213725.GT6023@dastard>
On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 07:37:25AM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 08:17:18AM -0700, Andy Lutomirski wrote:

> > [...]
> >
> > > If a filesystem is providing an i_version value, then NFS uses it to
> > > determine whether client side caches are still consistent with the
> > > server state. If the filesystem does not provide an i_version, then
> > > NFS falls back to checking c/mtime for changes. If files on the
> > > server are being modified without either the tiemstamps or i_version
> > > changing, then it's likely that there will be problems with client
> > > side cache consistency....
> >
> > I didn't think of that at all.
> >
> > If userspace does:
> >
> > ptr = mmap(...);
> > ptr[0] = 1;
> > sleep(1);
> > ptr[0] = 2;
> > sleep(1);
> > munmap();
> >
> > Then current kernels will mark the inode changed on (only) the ptr[0]
> > = 1 line.  My patches will instead mark the inode changed when munmap
> > is called (or after ptr[0] = 2 if writepages gets called for any
> > reason).
> >
> > I'm not sure which is better.  POSIX actually requires my behavior
> > (which is most irrelevant).
>
> Not by my reading of it. Posix states that c/mtime needs to be
> updated between the first access and the next msync() call. We
> update mtime on the first access, and so therefore we conform to the
> posix requirement....
>
> > My behavior also means that, if an NFS
> > client reads and caches the file between the two writes, then it will
> > eventually find out that the data is stale.
>
> "eventually" is very different behaviour to the current behaviour.
>
> My understanding is that NFS v4 delegations require the underlying
> filesystem to bump the version count on *any* modification made to
> the file so that delegations can be recalled appropriately.

Delegations at least shouldn't be an issue here: they're recalled on the
open.

--b.