Re: page fault scalability (ext3, ext4, xfs)

To: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: page fault scalability (ext3, ext4, xfs)
From: Andy Lutomirski <luto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 21:32:13 -0700
Cc: "Theodore Ts'o" <tytso@xxxxxxx>, Dave Hansen <dave.hansen@xxxxxxxxx>, Dave Hansen <dave.hansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Linux FS Devel <linux-fsdevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, "linux-ext4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <linux-ext4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxxx>, LKML <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Tim Chen <tim.c.chen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 7:10 PM, Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > At the risk of beating a dead horse, how hard would it be to defer
>> > this part until writeback?
>>
>> Part of the work has to be done at write time because we need to
>> update allocation statistics (i.e., so that we don't have ENOSPC
>> problems).  The unwritten->written conversion does happen at writeback
>> (as does the actual block allocation if we are doing delayed
>> allocation).
>>
>> The point is that if the goal is to measure page fault scalability, we
>> shouldn't have this other stuff happening as the same time as the page
>> fault workload.
>
> Sure, but the real problem is not the block mapping or allocation
> path - even if the test is changed to take that out of the picture,
> we still have timestamp updates being done on every single page
> fault. ext4, XFS and btrfs all do transactional timestamp updates
> and have nanosecond granularity, so every page fault is resulting in
> a transaction to update the timestamp of the file being modified.

I have (unmergeable) patches to fix this:

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.mm/92476

I'll dust them off.  Getting something like that merged will allow me
to run an unmodified kernel.org kernel on my production system :)  It
should be a latency improvement (file times are deferred), a
throughput improvement (one update per writepages call instead of one
per page), and a correctness improvement (the current semantics
violate SuS, IIRC, and are backwards from the point of view of
anything trying to detect changes to files).

--Andy

--
Andy Lutomirski
AMA Capital Management, LLC