Re: Failure growing xfs with linux 3.10.5

To: Michael Maier <m1278468@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Failure growing xfs with linux 3.10.5
From: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 15:43:33 +1000
Cc: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 04:55:00PM +0200, Michael Maier wrote:
> Dave Chinner wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 06:50:55PM +0200, Michael Maier wrote:
> >> Meanwhile, I faced another problem on another xfs-file system with linux
> >> 3.10.5 which I never saw before. During writing a few bytes to disc, I
> >> got "disc full" and the writing failed.
> >>
> >> At the same time, df reported 69G of free space! I ran xfs_repair -n and
> >> got:
> >>

> >> xfs_repair -n /dev/mapper/raid0-daten2
> >> Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...
> >> Phase 2 - using internal log
> >>         - scan filesystem freespace and inode maps...
> >> sb_ifree 591, counted 492
> >> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >> What does this mean? How can I get rid of it w/o loosing data? This file
> >> system was created a few days ago and never resized.
> >
> > Superblock inode counting is lazy - it can get out of sync in after
> > an unclean shutdown, but generally mounting a dirty filesystem will
> > result in it being recalculated rather than trusted to be correct.
> > So there's nothing to worry about here.
>
> When will it be self healed?

that depends on whether there's actually a problem. Like I said in
the part you snipped off - if you ran xfs_repair -n on filesystem
that needs log recovery that accounting difference is expected.

> I still can see it today after 4 remounts!

See what?

> This is strange and I can't use the free space, which I need! How can it
> be forced to be repaired w/o data loss?

The above is complaining about a free inode count mismatch, not a
problem about free space being wrong. What problem are you actually
having?

Cheers,

Dave.
--