Re: A short digression on FOSS (Re: understanding speculative preallocat

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: A short digression on FOSS (Re: understanding speculative preallocation)
From: Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 23:11:02 -0500

>>> And... all the way back to Jason's original question:
>>>
>>> The way that you get the information out of a kernel/kernel RPM to
>>> determine which XFS version it's running... is?  Cause it's clearly
>>> not obvious to either him or me.
>>
>> The "version" of XFS that you are running is that of the
>> kernel you are running. i.e. 2.6.32-279.x.y or 2.6.32-358.x.y.
>
> IOWS:  There is no spoon.  ;)

Excellent quote Eric, love the Matrix movies.

I think the problem here is a lack of understanding of the kernel
development and commit process.  AFAIK there's not a single Linux
subsystem that has a standalone version number or versioning scheme.
Not the other filesystems, not the USB subsystem, SCSI, ATA, etc.  The
version of each is simply the version of the kernel they are included in.

I've been wondering throughout this thread where anyone got the idea
that there is an XFS version that can be traced/tracked.  Maybe because
xfsprogs have a version number?  The way to track XFS changes from
kernel to kernel is to look at the commits, as others have already stated.

--
Stan