Re: A short digression on FOSS (Re: understanding speculative preallocat

To: Jay Ashworth <jra@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: A short digression on FOSS (Re: understanding speculative preallocation)
From: aurfalien <aurfalien@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 19:08:32 -0700
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=subject:mime-version:content-type:from:in-reply-to:date:cc :content-transfer-encoding:message-id:references:to:x-mailer; bh=K6fcdEEMYM0Sz8o0B1/G2BLGSLzoQylj3J/y3Y5Bopc=; b=UQf1N4LgJfdzwrcIVsebqS1bB2SL1pHkZdcSwsgY83aMNIsNlvY0l59amL+BW66JH+ tnjxCmLr4WdC1xp9P5nYfy0nlPDQYznttZBDazuZF+ZCqwF2TRRa0NVcrVtn8AkVaH0e qKm43jBI2lBWGaWY0boPFx0K8gkFZdImorNP/cpExGrMOaxR+dCOIJdtFenzNi517OmM V4HBGts5YDuUpzL1J5Is1YlMSpdCYetnLugXOnHETCMjeV+b3WHmUbIbWIxAli73QGdf a9CjrQWJPYJDsmlsAkpbo1L3S2243CzqJLawLBxE9ii6notl7EMlf6Tv+1wbIznC5GN0 FuKQ==
On Jul 27, 2013, at 6:50 PM, Jay Ashworth wrote:

> [...]

Not really but I'm waiting :)

>> This list is great so filter whats applicable and toss the rest in a
>> bit bucket.
>
> As it happens, though, My Sister's DVR is *not* the only machine with
> Really Big Filesystems on it*, and it really does matter to me what the
> development policies are on critical subsystems like this; hence my
> query above.
>
> I really really *love* SuSE, after 8 years, but they've made a critical
> change I simply can't tolerate for commercial use, and I'm going to have
> to pick a new distro.  (And anyone who says "well, just switch to SLES"
> either forgets that that's $1200/server/year, or forgets where Linux came
> from in the first place...)
>
> CentOS is the only thing that's anywhere close.

If it RHEL/CentOS really is the only option, then perhaps get one box on RHEL
and submit bugs for it.

- aurf