Re: how to use fstrim?

To: Stefan Priebe <s.priebe@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: how to use fstrim?
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 16:37:37 -0500
Cc: "xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
On 7/26/13 1:17 PM, Stefan Priebe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> what is the right way to use fstrim on top of XFS? just doing fstrim -v -m
> 4194304 /
>
> results sometimes (might depend on disk i/o) to hanging tasks and stack
> traces - fstrim needs > 5 min in these cases.

As always, it's better to include things like the actual stack traces you got,
so we have some idea what's going on ...

How fast it goes probably depends quite a lot on the storage underneath.

So including storage information as well would also help us give you a
meaningful answer...

And kernel version... etc.

http://xfs.org/index.php/XFS_FAQ#Q:_What_information_should_I_include_when_reporting_a_problem.3F

-Eric