Re: XFS errors on 3TB HDD that is identified of size 2TB only

To: Jay Ashworth <jra@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS errors on 3TB HDD that is identified of size 2TB only
From: Matthias Schniedermeyer <ms@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 01:11:45 +0200
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
> > From: "Thomas Schneider" <c.monty@xxxxxx>
>
> > On my new HDD WD30EZRX I created a GPT partition table and formatted
> > it with XFS.
> > Then I put some data (approx. 2.4TB) on that new partition.
> >
> > However, after restarting the system the disk is identified of size
> > 2TB only.
> > knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ sudo fdisk -l
>
> Stop!  Wait a minute!  Stop it, boy!
>
> (Sorry; Meat Loaf flashback.  :-)
>
> You're looking at that partition table with fdisk, *which doesn't understand
> GPT partition tables*; it's amazing it didn't complain louder.

It does. At least the version i got does:

WARNING: The size of this disk is 3.0 TB (3000592982016 bytes).
DOS partition table format can not be used on drives for volumes
larger than (2199023255040 bytes) for 512-byte sectors. Use parted(1)
and GUID partition table format (GPT).

And that's not even the most recent version:
fdisk -v
fdisk (util-linux 2.20.1)

But in the OP-Case the kernel appeared to reported the disc as 2TB,
which could be seen in the fdisk output.

--

Matthias