Re: specify agsize?

To: Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: specify agsize?
From: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 11:07:22 +1000
Cc: aurfalien <aurfalien@xxxxxxxxx>, Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
> > Autodesk has this software called Flame which requires very very fast local
> > storage using XFS.
>
> If "Flame" does any random writes then you probably shouldn't be using
> RAID6.

Oh, we are talking about flame/smoke/lustre rendering environments
here. Go back 5 years, a renderwall compositing effects via smoke
was one of the nastiest small random write workloads you could
throw at a filesystem. It was often used to benchmark file server
performance for renderwalls and still may be. Think of a workload
that reads lots of shared texture files across thousands of
machines, each crunching a single video frame to add an effect and
all doing small random writes to the video frame as it modifies a
small section of each line of the video frame....

Translation: tuning for AG size is a waste of time.

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner