Re: specify agsize?

To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: specify agsize?
From: Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 17:08:04 -0500
Cc: aurfalien <aurfalien@xxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On 7/14/2013 11:14 AM, Eric Sandeen wrote:

> http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Creative_Finishing/enu/2012/Help/05_Installation_Guides/Installation_and_Configuration_Guide_for_Linux_Workstations/0118-Advanced118/0194-Manually194/0199-Creating199
>
> I guess?
>
> That's quite a procedure!  And I have to say, a slightly strange one at first
> glance.

Agreed.

> It'd be nice if they said what they were trying to accomplish rather than
> just giving you a long recipe.

Again.

> In the end, I think they are trying to create 128AGs and maybe work around
> some mkfs corner case or other.

Or it's just as likely they are laying out these image frames in a
specific manner across 128 directories, assuming 128 AGs exist, to
achieve some specific "on disk" organization of the files.  It's simply
not possible to know without more information.

Interestingly, on a 14+2 RAID6 array of 7.2K drives, normally 128 AGs
will decrease parallel performance due to a huge increase in head seek
latency.  Thus I'd assume this isn't a parallel workload.  Either that
or Autodesk doesn't know XFS as well as they believe.

--
Stan