Re: Corruption of root fs during git bisect of drm system hang

To: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Corruption of root fs during git bisect of drm system hang
From: Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 23:12:44 -0500
Cc: Markus Trippelsdorf <markus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On 7/10/2013 10:58 PM, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 05:36:21AM +0200, Markus Trippelsdorf wrote:

>> I was loosing my KDE settings bit by bit with every reboot during the
>> bisection. First my window-rules disappeared, then my desktop background
>> changed to default, then my taskbar moved from top to the bottom, etc.
>> In the end I had to restore all my .files from backup.
>
> That's not filesystem corruption. That sounds more like someone not
> using fsync in the apropriate place when overwriting a file....

>From Sandeen's blog, March 2009:

"I dunno how to resolve this right now.  I talked to some nice KDE folks
on irc; they basically want atomic writes, either you get your old file
or your new file post-crash; and tempfile/sync/rename does this – but
the fsync hurts on 78% of the Linux filesystems out there.  So their
KSaveFile class doesn’t fsync.  So what to do, what to do.."

That's 4 years ago.  Is it possible the KDE devs are still not using
fsync?  Sure seems likely given Markus' problem.

--
Stan