Re: Questions about XFS

To: Matthias Schniedermeyer <ms@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Questions about XFS
From: Steve Bergman <sbergman27@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 17:18:40 -0500
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :cc:content-type; bh=mfYUm72acEvyGePnWfGXpnXN8R62nbVX6rAUJKrfIQc=; b=R0yAf89fwt5R3sBHR855JDhQI64DJVuFeJ1WXQLjiBF2aWZgKoaSyzhi4Inao9E3MK zcG7tVOF7qmdidyKHqpwg59GD7iSBetAapXHa4XyianUJuWTBvg+HJyseYFyunuJn0Jf 0L7bR7V5vBsTe2mRlvkt/NeoNroaSo/AZWn/tDT2Z5cx88ibhoiItFBoo77BHKb6q/g8 j5DpqiOTygYCMq9kJkDI85HtNFW7t5yo2x0S1e7UsbRTw2X74FO23HmW3OHJXyfo051W wcjoa4dnlCEVVzlQPNXg08YAHTYJI+FLObopaZjHLTaLevHJ6j5qWLzyBaYF9pKHGDDk 90Xw==
That's a very interesting idea, using inotify. But I'd prefer to keep
it a little simpler. Using ext3 for the main data tree and XFS for the
work file directory really seems perfect. Although it gives me an
option that was never feasible before. And that would be to mount ext3
data=journal. Without XFS to do the heavy listing in the work dir,
that would make certain operations (very) unreasonably slow. But with
the hybrid fs configuration, it would only slow down EOD posting a
bit. I mounted data=journal at one site, for one day the other day,
and nobody complained. That would be the "correct" solution from a
data integrity standpoint. But I've always found ext3 & data=ordered
to be quite adequate for this application.

-Steve