Re: Questions about XFS

To: Ric Wheeler <rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Questions about XFS
From: Stefan Ring <stefanrin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 19:27:59 +0200
Cc: Steve Bergman <sbergman27@xxxxxxxxx>, Linux fs XFS <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :cc:content-type; bh=CBpcLyoAJfWdL/sooiFlONS7UC2Tz08Jv90G26qPI5k=; b=jH4fSeg3WVXaiH+xqnKUsLYQGWPOJsCueQ45pj7NTv5ymXFuTopWYOmeI/18RKciqh r8nIYWs1CSf8kZsWoan9zOgSyH1Wkfuf4rlwcG0mkIDuHZ36vxRhbMQC7qkOIGRcsnJH grX/5c99l6tUJ4RlImuwroNV5PCNw6G/ZYzStNL4Ed9+doBtAf2kfgwM+905hX50DAR7 cU5SPH8xNxXmiwxMpN8nrRABnyGct3rrziL6XtsdIwbomcfsnFHO4LSgSFc5ZwT6zqBS bkUijVA1nryUTpTtFTnIuUQBWVOCq5c2Lp5IZ4/dFdTET8NoRVQgNFSQVzKwWHnY2i67 fbVg==
> Let's take a simple example - a database app that does say 30
> transactions/sec.
>
> In your example, you are extremely likely to lose up to just shy of 5
> seconds of "committed" data - way over 100 transactions!  That can be
> *really* serious amounts of data and translate into large financial loss.

Every database software will do the flushing correctly.

> In a second example, let's say you are copying data to disk (say a movie) at
> a rate of 50 MB/second.  When the power cut hits at just the wrong time, you
> will have lost a large chunk of that data that has been "written" to disk
> (over 200MB).

But why would anyone care about that? I know that the system went down
while copying this large movie, so I'll just copy it again.