Re: XFS Adding Quotas - Skip Quota check on first mount/boot

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: XFS Adding Quotas - Skip Quota check on first mount/boot
From: Arkadiusz MiÅkiewicz <arekm@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 07:04:27 +0200
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=maven.pl; s=maven; h=from:to:subject:date:user-agent:references:in-reply-to:mime-version :content-type:content-transfer-encoding:message-id; bh=GJ8GsnfUIvB6WF+jvSb7sQb3cn0r6PH9dXMPXUsTYKQ=; b=VmqKLquhXXV6ucMFM5SY1sGjfQtaIGPb2CA4yl8R23/Q4pva+uonFL3vkl9OU3Th89 Ftdd+Bo0SrqeF/nXxR8KSEwPJ2KFUGRFJOME1ZEGzbTZPbLx2ixnFS6RUabMLcVoefqp CuaBRwHLrX22/v6yVWEvzhjAnkNitFtmC8478=
On Friday 07 of June 2013, Dave Chinner wrote:

> > I suspect that upon re-mount, XFS is running a quota check on the 14TB
> > RAID. My question is: how do I disable the initial quota check so it
> > can mount it properly and have quota check run in the background?
>
> You can't. quotacheck relies on exclusive access to the filesystem,
> and so the mount cannot process until it completes. Quotas need to
> be consistent before you can start using the filesystem....
>
> Now, there's the possibility that we could parallelise quotacheck
> because it uses bulkstat for iteration, but somebody would have to
> find the time to do that and it won't solve your immediate problem.

I'm facing similar problem sometimes. The parallelisation would be nice but
I'm missing something more obvious - kind of progress indicator, like printked
message (or in proc/sysfs) after processing some known part of job.

This is needed purely for estimating downtime of the service.

> Hence I suggest just waiting for it to complete - if you have
> millions of inodes it could hours to complete, so just let it go
> overnight...

... and say users goodbye ;)

--
Arkadiusz MiÅkiewicz, arekm / maven.pl