XFS Adding Quotas - Skip Quota check on first mount/boot

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: XFS Adding Quotas - Skip Quota check on first mount/boot
From: Adam Brenner <aebrenne@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 19:59:34 -0700
Howdy XFS Devs,

We run a 14TB XFS fileserver on our cluster and want to add quota
support. This is running 3.9.2-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64 kernel under CentOS
6.3 (Final).

The issue is when we unmount the XFS RAID, and re-mount it adding
quota support, the mount command hangs. Sever IS responsive and the
XFS mount point is not accessible. Reverting our changes in /etc/fstab
to remove the quota options does not have mount hang.

I suspect that upon re-mount, XFS is running a quota check on the 14TB
RAID. My question is: how do I disable the initial quota check so it
can mount it properly and have quota check run in the background?

/etc/fstab entry:

    /dev/sdb   /w1    xfs   defaults,noatime,usrquota,grpquota 1 2

/var/log/messages output:

    Jun  6 11:37:43 nas-2-1 kernel: XFS (sdb): Mounting Filesystem
    Jun  6 11:37:43 nas-2-1 kernel: XFS (sdb): Ending clean mount
    Jun  6 11:37:43 nas-2-1 kernel: XFS (sdb): Quotacheck needed:
                                    Please wait.

I do not mind high CPU usage or slow performance while the mount point
is active, but having it unavailable is not an option we would like
stick with. I suspect running quota check on 14TB would take roughly a
full work day and then some.

Thanks,
-Adam

--