Rambling noise #2: Learning to use the v8 pquota/uquota patchset

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Rambling noise #2: Learning to use the v8 pquota/uquota patchset
From: "Michael L. Semon" <mlsemon35@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 04:52:22 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=x-received:message-id:date:from:user-agent:mime-version:to:subject :content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=HEFiU9nymSMa/9lwTVhhi/XsMCRA73KqGvKSNQVyJnw=; b=RD/wWdwBtf3yvvzoEJ3Yzib2hEYuk6x6+Z+vEHLMj9bgarhy04bLdDyZccY3ZCyvLG GonbqoqFt4yh0D0roQv5h57afvCeE2Ndc8u0ZI04mFuchf6eyIEvtZMagGq37LkoHXeQ wlHdnzLZaBfLXfJ2QDgsKOknlnYIrzGEiCpHFLtFv4yK1gTurQqmOsE0S7QMhr4kWTL9 aRHUZ6gKE3QoKkAob8QZZsXzGRwYNQpBQV7o0ypPPbx+wbcUeJvXBiOcaYHVR7jz/aaB a2jQOnGGzBrsZ+Fy8L4S0kaSS+HowikLFY0Li0Xf6xDsZHYQWKfOFJreIJH+Hb3lpnob UySA==
Hi! I seem to have no luck in getting v8 of the pquota/uquota patchset working and have it pass xfstests with flying colors. Is v8 of the pquota/gquota patchset sufficient to make the new separate pquota/gquota bits work? Or is it an incremental patchset?

The basic functionality works, in my opinion, and I hope nobody wastes time with a nice, educated reply. It would be mostly wasted on me and is better saved for somebody else. A reply of "do this...and this...btw, how did this test come out?" would be welcomed, though ;-)

Anyway, some vague observations as I grasp for straws...

1) The xfstests quota group tests seem to fail in different ways than the way they did before applying the patches.

2) Nothing has oopsed.

3) In testing using the `xfs_quota -x` command, the patches seem to work. On `mount -t xfs -o gquota` mounts, using the quota command from within the xfs_quota shell, the group quotas show but not the projid quotas. On `mount -t xfs -o pquota` mounts, the projid quotas show but not the gquota mounts. This is different than the old behavior, where the gquota numbers might be recycled into projid numbers.

4) The results of `xfsquota -c print` are confusing. Maybe they're showing the XFS view when they show things like 'uqnoenforce,gquota,pquota' for a mount that is gquota only. They're doubly confusing once /etc/projid and /etc/projects have been set up. The 'gqnoenforce' and 'pqnoenforce' flags show up at times for reasons that are unknown to me.

5) `mount -t xfs -o gquota,pquota` is not possible at this time.

6) The patches applied cleanly to a git Linux 3.10-rc1 kernel + xfs-oss, with only whitespace errors reported.

7) I question whether 'bsoft=' has a visible effect on projid quotas, whether using your patches or not. Did it ever work?

8) I had no feel on whether the filesystem had to be mounted once as gquota, then once as pquota, for the full dual functionality to work.

9) It looks like xfs_repair doesn't ruin anything, but the `xfsquota -c print` output looks a little different on the next mount.

That's about all that could be put together in a coherent manner. Sleep awaits.

The PC is a 32-bit Pentium 4. In addition to the kernel mentioned in (6), there are a few J. Liu and Dave Chinner patches applied as well.

Best of luck!

Michael