Re: xfs - high CPU usage when removing files

To: Radoslaw Garbacz <radoslaw.garbacz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfs - high CPU usage when removing files
From: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 10:47:51 +1000
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 01:28:47PM -0500, Radoslaw Garbacz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed a high CPU usage when removing files from XFS partition on Linux,
> CentOS (always close to 100%).
> Is it a known issue, or is it more likely to be attributed to my testing
> methodology ('time' command)?

If you are removing extremely fragmented files, then 100% CPU will
be seen.  If you are removing tens of thousands of small files, then
100% CPU will be seen,

IOWs, if there's enough work to be done, removing files will use all
the available CPU. There's no problem with that.

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner