xfs_repair force_geometry

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: xfs_repair force_geometry
From: Benedikt Schmidt <benedikt.schmidt@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 14:24:31 +0200
Hi,
currently I'm looking for the correct usage of the force_geometry option of xfs_repair. I wasn't able to find more documentation on this option beside that it exists. Could please somebody explain it to me?

For a more detailed description of my problem: I've got here a hard disk which is dying at the moment, so I copied all the content with dd_rescue to a new and bigger one. To use xfs_copy wasn't possible as the filesystem was already corrupted. So now I've got nearly everything on the second hard disk (dd_rescue could'nt copy something around 6 or 7 MB), but I can not mount the filesystem or even run xfs_repair on it, as it fails to find a superblock. I think the problem lies in the fact that the new disk has a different geometry than the previous one.

Kind regards,
Benedikt Schmidt