Re: 3.9.0: general protection fault

To: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 3.9.0: general protection fault
From: Bernd Schubert <bernd.schubert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2013 13:18:13 +0200
Cc: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On 05/07/2013 03:12 AM, Dave Chinner wrote:
On Mon, May 06, 2013 at 02:47:31PM +0200, Bernd Schubert wrote:
On 05/06/2013 02:28 PM, Dave Chinner wrote:
On Mon, May 06, 2013 at 10:14:22AM +0200, Bernd Schubert wrote:
And anpther protection fault, this time with 3.9.0. Always happens
on one of the servers. Its ECC memory, so I don't suspect a faulty
memory bank. Going to fsck now-

http://xfs.org/index.php/XFS_FAQ#Q:_What_information_should_I_include_when_reporting_a_problem.3F

Isn't that a bit overhead? And I can't provide /proc/meminfo and
others, as this issue causes a kernel panic a few traces later.

Provide what information you can.  Without knowing a single thing
about your hardware, storage config and workload, I can't help you
at all. You're asking me to find a needle in a haystack blindfolded
and with both hands tied behind my back....

I see that xfs_info, meminfo, etc are useful, but /proc/mounts? Maybe you want "cat /proc/mounts | grep xfs"?. Attached is the output of /proc/mounts, please let me know if you were really interested in all of that non-xfs output?

And I just wonder what you are going to do with the information about the hardware. So it is an Areca hw-raid5 device with 9 disks. But does this help? It doesn't tell if one of the disks reads/writes with hickups or provides any performance characteristics at all.

Stuff like /proc/meminfo doesn't have to be provided from exactly
the time of the crash - it's just the simplest way to find out how
much RAM you have in the machine, so a dump from whenever the
machine is up and running the workload is fine. Other information we
ask for (e.g. capturing the output of `vmstat 5` as suggested in the
FAQ) gives us the runtime variation of memory usage and easy to
capture right up to the failure point...

I have started collectl now, it logs meminfo and other useful information. But still with all of that, are you sure xfs debugging information wouldn't be more useful? For example setting a
"#define debug" in xfs_trans_ail.c?

Cheers,
Bernd