Re: Xfs_repair segfaults.

To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Xfs_repair segfaults.
From: Filippo Stenico <filippo.stenico@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 17:00:30 +0200
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=x-received:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id :subject:to:cc:content-type; bh=rGkMhzHpiF+vD4tt1++0dO13/hj+JZu+J4RwthOqlTU=; b=x15mHy8m89yX3sVgyE3uB9b7LWXXQxfzgvu9/eB90bIecU1WFTF33wNM3bMj/ZLgtF mI7WTMY4t4KlV6SXEhfTEL0C81/+7HSysPMW7OpDascgyNiJP2gESDNIpHg75rfMOURX FkQXvHmYyC5S55g5Vmun9E+7ewtIOLfHOPyiPICgFPtvcrh+RnfKnm5Y2157zVU0cqua 1exNFMMcbcF+mueyBDdrugRPw8Y5ZWzN+ZMMYxlUHJFYDrVkxCGP5NlX5Xx63FlypVaF VRaiW79rUF9fiYyUgJCKFr7vbuBeehM8hi6Elg1xoWrtNYU1biBe5JhRRGwBiaW3VJP2 yRpg==

On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 4:34 PM, Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 5/6/13 7:06 AM, Filippo Stenico wrote:
> Hello, I've had an issue on a raid5 volume (2 disks failing at same
> time, and buggy NAS firmware trying hard to sync then stop for I/O
> error then retryes to sync leading (!?) to lost raid and an xfs data
> corruption.

Sooo bad storage hardware, first off \o/  :(

> I've recreated raid, mounted the xfs filesystem, copied about 6TB of
> data out of 8TB, the rest of data being unreachable with "structrure
> needs cleaning" error. Thus I tried to unmount/mount and still got
> same error, then dumped metadata and tried various xfs_repair with
> different options but it always reaches a same point where it always
> segfaults.

OK, what version of xfsprogs?
If not latest usptream, please try that next.

It was the one included in debian squeeze, I believe v.3.1.4
I figured segfault could be fixed in newer releases, so I added testing and unstable sources, and tryied with those (3.1.7 and 3.1.9) but same segfault.

If upstream still segfaults, you could provide a core and associated
binary debug info, or (maybe) an xfs_metadump for analysis.  It sounds
like this fs is in pretty bad shape though, so even the xfs_metadump
might fail and/or not gather enough information.

As suggested on IRC chat, I built from xfsprogs-3.1.9 source, I will restore "original" metadata and make same steps I took first time, so that you can get a detailed report.
Of course I will include as much as info I can (metadump - gdb backtrace on eventual segfault).

Thanx for now,

-Eric