Re: Weird message from xfs_repair

To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Weird message from xfs_repair
From: Emmanuel Florac <eflorac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 08:50:24 +0200
Cc: Ben Myers <bpm@xxxxxxx>, "xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx" <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Le Wed, 01 May 2013 15:58:09 -0500 vous Ãcriviez:

> Several of those internal cache housekeeping messages can be
> alarming.  Indeed anything out of the ordinary during repair
> is alarming to most users.  ;)

Well I've had xfs_repair happily wiping several terabytes of data in
the past, so I'm easily concerned :) But I supposed this is mostly
related to the fact I was running a pre-release.

> Emmanuael - if another xfs_repair pops out the same error,
> then capturing a metadump of the fs would probably let someone
> look into it.  Someone who has time, that is.  ;)

In that case the filesystem was in extremely poor shape with lots of
errors I've never seen before, and a lot of users waiting for it to
come back online. Fortunately recent xfs_repair seem to be reliable
enough.