XFS Support in RHEL Server 6.4 x86_64

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: XFS Support in RHEL Server 6.4 x86_64
From: Michael Weissenbacher <mw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 12:48:57 +0200
Hi List!
I was under the impression that XFS was officially supported by Red Hat
Enterprise Linux.

During the installation i noticed that Anaconda wouldn't allow XFS as
root file system. Well, that's not a big problem for me. But after
installation i realized that they don't even include xfsprogs so that i
could do mkfs.xfs. Well, also not a big problem, i used the latest
tarball and compiled them myself.

But the big question now is: can anybody actually recommend using XFS on
stock RHEL? It does feel like being just a stepchild there. On the other
hand there seem be be quite a number of patches that were backported for
Red Hat's kernel and it does use delaylog by default (which IIRC wasn't
the default with a stock 2.6.32 Kernel).

tia,
Michael