Re: kernels 3.4 slower due to allocation workqueue

To: Mark Tinguely <tinguely@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: kernels 3.4 slower due to allocation workqueue
From: Yann Dupont <Yann.Dupont@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 16:35:28 +0200
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Le 17/04/2013 16:11, Mark Tinguely a écrit :
On 04/17/13 08:44, Yann Dupont wrote:
Le 16/04/2013 15:26, Mark Tinguely a écrit :

The filesystem can hang but only if the OS cannot allocate another
worker when doing certain calls.

--Mark.

Ok, any chance to see these fixes backported to 3.4 ?

Cheers,

All of the patches apply to Linux 3.4 without modification.
Yes, sorry, I should have said incorporated/pushed back

It does not sound like the patches will be pushed back to stable at this time.
If you consider, for the moment, not pushing the patches in 3.4, (because of stability concerns, or you judge these patches intrusives, or whatever good reason), I won't do either, because I have no vision of the potential problems with the patched kernel. I always try to stay on pure vanilla kernels, longterm if possible, because stability is the more important.

My best bet is probably 3.8 kernels right now (even if they are not longterm), or maybe simply going back to 3.2.

Thanks for your answers,
Cheers

--
Yann Dupont - Service IRTS, DSI Université de Nantes
Tel : 02.53.48.49.20 - Mail/Jabber : Yann.Dupont@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx