Re: Practical file system size question

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Practical file system size question
From: Rafa Griman <rafagriman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 16:02:15 +0200
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=x-received:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id :subject:to:content-type; bh=mOE+VY+J6L+VBb/QHL3sGri5VPka9dugsIqplYi6r+4=; b=cyZNM6sfBAaVC+VKKmW315bPGvEKE5s99TncTgYnoaRTCRLZzeujV6V+yGmPUs1yBn XArvv9Xny6QMRdN0Bn4BtmupgqI1ZPC9JesAFLwEKbJ4GqO9YWoRPCr2xHAMDthSHvM6 rS5dPFNu4hLeoEIkpTjUgugtc1fepENMQiIJ6zkYXI8ONMAvl8fcqDB94AVfsECeZH2Y 2mw0t4zTPf492lqQ2cqezJTjulNiv8j1bOejSBhOlyxwulzIIUsZPAnGZDpyArIakzer apOU4MH0rQRZREUvxN0lUoAgfwNHiykaIi7KJaDxV1GCczM1kQpguwuPZrv/ikK5yfSl 8d0A==
Hi :)

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 3:18 PM, Robert Bennett
<rbennett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We have been running our Storage on XFS for over three years now and are
> extremely happy.  We are running each file system on LSI Hardware Raid with
> 3 RAID groups of 12+2 with 3 Hot Spares, and 8 file systems per Head Node.
> These are running on 2TB SAS HDDs.  The individual file system size is 66TB
> in this configuration.  The time has come to look into moving to 3TB SAS
> HDDs.  With very rudimentary math, this should move us to the neighborhood
> of 99TB per file system.  Our OS is linux 2.6.32-279.11.1.el6.x86_64.
>
> The question is - does anyone have experience with this type of
> configuration and in particular with 3TB HDDs and a file system size of
> 99TB?  The rebuild time with 2TB drives is ~ 24 hours.  Should I expect the
> rebuild time for the 3TB drives to be ~ 36 hours?
>
> Thanks for all the hard work all of you do on a file system that continues
> to dazzle.

When you say "LSI Hardware Raid", I assume it's some sort of
NetApp/Engenio storage array (aka E2600, E2400, E5500). Am I correct?
If so, you should try the new their new feature Dynamic Disk Pooling:

http://www.netapp.com/us/system/pdf-reader.aspx?m=ds-3309.pdf&cc=us

http://www.netapp.com/us/technology/dynamic-disk-pools.aspx

It lowers your rebuild times quite a lot.

If you mean internal LSI RAID PCIe controllers in a server ... can't
be of much help here :(

HTH

   Rafa