Re: Crash with 3.8.3 and TuxOnIce

To: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Crash with 3.8.3 and TuxOnIce
From: Pedro Ribeiro <pedrib@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 18:01:35 +0000
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:x-received:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id :subject:from:to:cc:content-type; bh=T5cGLJwkslNmr9wTYesQNanJ3Wy7/JV0VT/JVIagVUI=; b=dmjMJrsP4nnh1zLbLBAoU2japYC1T3HyqKGD9QWnwvivWfWKxsPseWGv1Ljanr8nlp F8UCXbIdAje9WV7G04IkkXCJO/MCCzJ9D3sfohi2Rh4C/GE0Ml93s4kmlZMWhzxCdryL 9GGktshdMFYpgWpaUBK/9jl44/ivpn9SKlmRAYAuobXrRn2ndCIiGMAiNRTZ2sBSip1R YttzTg3maYLq1Nm9vtfLl+2Q5glR+lkrPzRd/9iIto4WoQX65CZsacjoeR5IhhjgJwPN F4aY1WpqseCM7Lj4uOMFUbf50WCqzRrGdyhjeszX9zPXWoUbYFRhfaXRzroltbSvp8mh EdwQ==
Thanks for the answer Dave.

Yes I would definitely say it's a ToI bug that perhaps has been dormant so far. Unfortunately the ToI developer is very busy at the moment, so I will have to debug and fix it myself.
This problem did not occur with 3.7 and the ToI code did not change.

Do you have any idea where I can start looking for the XFS change in 3.8 that triggered this behaviour in ToI? Or maybe it was a VFS change?

PS: the email definitely bounced back, most likely because imageshack is blocked on the sgi server:

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain oss.sgi.com by cuda-allmx.sgi.com. [192.48.176.16].

The error that the other server returned was:
554 rejecting banned content

Regards,
Pedro

On 20 March 2013 00:44, Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 11:31:16PM +0000, Pedro Ribeiro wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using a TuxOnIce enabled kernel, and recently moved from 3.7.1 to
> 3.8.3. The former used to work nicely, but now I get a hard crash when I
> try to hibernate.
> This is solely related to TuxOnIce as it does not happen in the default
> hibernation.
>
> I know this is an unsupported out of tree patch, but can you please help me
> debug it or point in the right direction?
>
> Unfortunately as this was a kernel crash all I have are crappy photos, but
> they do show a readable stack trace:
> img18[dot]imageshack[dot]us/img18/395/imag0228hp[dot]jpg
> img13[dot]imageshack[dot]us/img13/4375/imag0231p[dot]jpg
>
> (I removed the HTTP part and the dots off the links else it would bounce
> back from the list)

The list doesn't bounce URLs. Please make then clicky in future.

As it is, your kernel has oopsed in submit_bio() when writing a log
buffer writing a dummy log record.

The xfs_log_worker is trying to cover the log, and it seems like the
IO subsystem below it is doing something wrong. Perhaps Tux-on-Ice
is killing the IO subsystem without having first stopped all the
async filesystem processing first?

Looks like a Tux-on-ICE problem to me...

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner