Re: Xfs_repair and journalling

To: Subranshu Patel <spatel.ml@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Xfs_repair and journalling
From: Matthias Schniedermeyer <ms@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 16:18:41 +0100
Cc: stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On 17.03.2013 17:12, Subranshu Patel wrote:

> In case of EXT4, journal will not be replayed on performing mount. One need
> to invoke fsck which performs journal playback and then other corruption
> checks/recovery.
> Correct me if I am wrong.

Wrong.

ALL Journaling FSes automatically replay the long upon mounting, or at
least i don't know of any that don't.

Only if there is additional corruption the corresponding fsck comes into
play.

For XFS i have only needed xfs_repair 1 time in over 10 years (and
countless power-failures/spontanous resets, forgotten umounts
(USB-drives) ...) and that was caused by a bug in XFS that was fixed
recently, otherwise my stat would still be 0.

In most cases, after an unclean shutdown, the journal is replayed and
everything is fine. Otherwise you either hit a bug (that needs fixing),
or you have hardware problems.

--

Matthias